Glass slides with coated surfaces for bonding tissue sections and cells The product lineup includes MAS coated, MAS-GP coated FRONTIER coated and PLATINUM coated slides suitable for the immunohistochemical field where separation of tissue sections easily occurs in addition to poly-L-lysine coated (PLL) and amino silane coated (APS) slides.
In the process of Papanicolaou staining, HE staining, various kinds of special staining, immunohistochemical treatment and in situ Hybridization method for pathology and cytology, adhesive coated glass slides are widely used to prevent tissue sections (paraffin sections, frozen sections, etc.) and fluid specimens from separating and dropping from glass slide surfaces. Poly-L-lysine (PLL) and amino silane (APS) coated glass slides have been used, but their coated surfaces have hydrophobic properties. Therefore, when a tissue section is extended, water cannot drain quickly, and it may take a long time to dry the surface. Air bubbles may enter the gap between the glass and tissue section, and the tissue section may be broken. Moreover, in antigen retrieval treatment (microwave treatment, autoclave treatment, etc.) in the fields of immunohistochemical diagnosis, etc., separation of tissue sections and cells may occur owing to insufficient adhesion, thereby causing problems during diagnosis. We have examined the characteristics of these PLL coat and APS coat and developed new MAS coat, MAS-GP coat FRONTIER coat and PLATINUM coated having improved hydrophilic properties and separation preventive effect and supply products meeting the wide range of needs in the pathology and cytology.
Characteristics required for Adhesive microscope slides
1) Cell membrane surface structure
The cell surface is negatively (COO-) charged by phospholipid bilayer. The cell can be bonded by positively charging the glass surface. Conventional glass slides were coated with poly-L-lysine or amino silane to positively charge the glass surfaces.
2）Characteristics required for Adhesive microscope slides
・Tissue sections shall not separate or drop from glass slides during pretreatment, staining or antigen retrieval treatment for various diagnostic purposes.
・The glass slides shall have hydrophilic coats ensuring high workability during tissue section extending operation (the hydrophilicity of the coat surface improves the workability during section extending operation).
3) Major treatment processes causing tissue and cell loss from glass slides
Tissue sections and cells may separate from the glass slide surfaces during pretreatment, staining and antigen retrieval treatment for various diagnostic purposes. Major examples of treatment are given below.
[Major treatment processes which may cause tissue and cell loss]
 Various kinds of staining process
 Antigen retrieval process ( simple heat / microwave / autoclave )
 Enzymic process ( protease / trypsin / pepsin )
 NaOH process
 HCl process
 Formic acid process
Product lineup of adhesive glass slide
- Basic amino acid, poly-L-lysine, coat.
- The coat surface is ionically bonded with the OH groups on the glass surface.
- The glass surface is hydrophobic.
- Amino silane coating positively charges the glass surface to fix cells.
- The glass surface and amino silane are covalently bonded and stable.
- The glass surface is hydrophobic.
- Compared to the amino silane coat, the MAS coat realizes higher density of amino groups and enables remarkable improvement of tissue section and cell adhesive ability.
- The glass surface and the MAS coating agent are covalently bonded and stable.
- The coat has hydrophilic properties which facilitate tissue section extending operation.
MAS-GP coat and FRONTIER coat
- These coats have a similar effect in prevention of tissue loss to that of the MAS coat.
- The use of FINE FROST glass slide improves the durability to high pH buffer treatment.
- Background staining during immunostaining and special staining is reduced.
- The coat has similar hydrophilic properties to those of the MAS coat.
- Advanced adhesiveness and good extensibility.
- The coat has hydrophilic properties.
- Proven suitability with automated immunostainer.
Tissue Loss Prevention on Automated Immunostainer
SOW mammary gland FFPE 4μm
Dry aｆter Extention 60℃ 30min
Antigen retrieval 60min
- APS coated slide
- PLATINUM coated slide